When can I apply?The next application deadline is on 1 February 2020.
You can hand in your application year-round, but after this deadline you will not be able to submit or modify your project proposal. Results will be in around June.
How big are the grants?Our grants do not exceed US$ 20.000 or € 20.000.
Am I eligible?To check your eligibility, please take note of the following main criteria:
(1) The PBNF does not support individuals, only registered non-profits
(2) The PBNF aims to help save critically endangered flora and fauna. The urgency of your conservation case is directly related to the priority your project will receive. Therefore, always verify the conservation status of your focus species on the IUCN Red List. As a general rule of thumb, it can be said that you are eligible with a focus species that is at least classified as Vulnerable (VU), and receive a higher priority when the species is classified as Endangered (EN) or Critically Endangered (CR). If the focus species is Near Threatened (NT) or Least Concern (LC) you should not apply, or in case of doubt send an inquiry before applying.
(3) Due to the small grant size, the PBNF prefers to support projects in developing countries, with a special focus on the tropical and subtropical regions of Africa, Asia and Latin America. If you are from a developed country you may still apply, but you will receive a lower priority and therefore have a lower chance for your project to be acknowledged.
(4) The PBNF always wants to see an applied component of the project. If your project is purely research-based, you are only eligible if you can make clear how your research results will lead to impact on the ground.
(5) Due to the limited nature of our funding, the Fund prefers to act as a catalyzer of larger initiatives, and link its project support as much as possible to larger themes and organizations.
(6) The PBNF favours smaller grassroots organisations over bigger international organisations.
(7) Other criteria include: Stakeholder involvement and local embedding of the project; An innovative approach; (Economic) sustainability of the project; Local capacity building. Having some co-funding secured is appreciated but not a must.
(8) The PBNF does not support projects that address too general or global threats such as climate change, deforestation, malnutrition, poverty etc. Also general development programs that for example aim to improve the quality of life in rural villages through economic or agricultural development are not eligible.
How can I apply?You can apply for a PBNF grant simply by clicking the button "Apply for a PBNF Grant" on the top of this page. You are asked to fill in the details about your project, and to upload a separate budget. Try to be concise and specific in your answers, and please fill in the budget in Euro's or USDollars. If you need more guidance and like to have more explanation with the questions, you can download the Guidelines document below to get you started. If you started the application but need to interrupt your work or if you work with an unstable internet connection, scroll down on the form and click 'Save and Continue later'. Your form will them be saved and you will receive an email with a personal link through which you can return to your form at any time. After completing the application form, click 'Submit'. You will receive a confirmation and copy of your application by email. Results will be in around June. All applicants will be contacted on the email address provided in the application form as contact address. Start filling the application form by clicking on the "Apply for a PBNF Grant" button on the top of the page. If you experience any technical difficulty, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How does a good proposal look like?Are you unsure about some questions in the application form? Or do you have little experience in proposal writing and are you wondering if you are doing it right? Then it may be helpful to take a look at the following documents: Click here to download the Application Form Guidelines